Frequently Asked Questions

What exactly is Structural Drying?

Structural Drying comes into play when you, as a home or business owner, have a water damage in your structure. It could come from a burst or disconnected pipe, a sewage overflow or backup, a flood, hurricane, or tornado. Anything that causes water to intrude your structure, and often activates your insurance policy for coverage involving a water claim.

What should I expect when I have a water damage?

Most people immediately call their insurance carrier when abnormal amounts of water invade their structure. This enacts a flurry of activity, some helpful, some not. Normally, your insurer, either through their own offices or a Third Party Administrator (TPA), will get the ball rolling by assigning a restorer on their Vendor Program to come and handle your claim. The restorer will respond and will ask you to sign a Work Authorization which gives them the ability to begin the job. Sometimes, however, things happen that may delay the work beginning.

Really? What could cause that to happen?

Most insureds (you) aren’t aware of what your insurance policy actually says. You go in and see your insurance agent, who writes up a standard HO-3 policy and binds the coverage on your home or business. However, it’s not really that simple. In most cases, your coverage is complete and work begins immediately. Yet there are quite a few exclusions that can occur based on the type of water damage claim you may have. Ask your insurer for a complete explanation of your current policy. There may be riders you need to purchase to ensure proper coverages. It is recommended that you specifically ask about your sewage and mold coverage, and if a rider is necessary to increase coverage amounts; and be sure what the policy actually covers.

Do I have to use the restoration company that the vendor sends out or recommends?

No! A big no! Some insurers or TPAs will actually “bully” you into thinking that you must use their approved vendor. Nothing could be further from the truth. Preferred vendors are restoration companies (many franchise organizations are preferred vendors) that have agreed to do the job at discounted rates. In many cases, certain services that are necessary to ensure your structure is dried and cleaned properly must be approved by the insurer/TPA. This can sometimes cause valuable lost time in getting your home or business dried properly. The other problem here is that the Preferred Vendor, who has signed a contract with you, will often act on the direction of the Insurer and you get stuck in the middle.

Are there drawbacks to using a company that is not a Preferred Vendor?

Yes and no. If you choose not to use an Preferred Vendor for the work, there may be charges that Insurance will not, or refuses to pay, because they didn’t authorize those services. That makes you responsible for any monetary differences. Of course, then can happen with the Preferred Vendor, as well. On the other hand, you are assured that the Restorer works for you, and not the insurance company.

Does it make sense to hire someone such as you to protect my interests?

Absolutely. While a Consultant can’t guarantee that the insurer pays the full tab, or that the restorer doesn’t charge high fees, a consultant can protect your interests by challenging the insurer or TPA to pay the claim as is promised in the insurance contract. The consultant can also oversee the work done onsite in order to ensure that the restorer is doing what they say they’re doing, and that they’re not charging you for things not done, or overcharging you. I-40 gives free initial consultations either in person, by Zoom, or by phone. Rates are the most reasonable in the industry at only $55 per hour.

Ok. So, what is the IICRC?

The Institute of Inspection, Cleaning, and Restoration Certification is a non-profit organization that writes Standards of Care and develops training for various fields in the Restoration Industry. These certifications and Standards are recognized by entities who pay for restoration work as the “go to” for how jobs are to be performed. At I-40, our primary courses taught by our Instructor(s) are WRT, or Water Restoration Technician, and ASD, or Applied Structural Drying. We also offer other specialized courses through other IICRC Approved Instructors.

What is WRT?

WRT, or Water Restoration Technician, is a 3 day course taken by restoration contractors seeking education and certification in the drying of wet buildings. It is a required 19 contact hours followed by a 110 question exam that certifies the individual. Psychrometry, moisture readings, moisture movement, categories and classes of water, etc. are included in this 3 day theory class.

What is ASD?

ASD, or Applied Structural Drying is a 3 or 4 day course also taken by restoration contractors. It takes what was learned in WRT, and reviews that information, adds more information, and involves extensive hands on application in an IICRC Approved “flood house.” The “flood house” is flooded by water hose with at least 1,100 gallons of water. Students apply what they learn in class to the actual practical art of drying. Extraction, psychrometric and moisture readings are taken daily, and equipment is monitored for accurate drying of the house.

What are your class cancellation policies?

Please see our Order Policies for details.
Still have questions?

Contact Us

envelopephonequestion-circle linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram